An open house can attract more interested potential buyers to your house, allowing you to highlight its unique, special, energy-saving and/or economical features. We have some tips to help you maximise your chances of success at this critical event:
· Clean like you mean it! If you finish and it’s not spotless, start again! This is the opportunity to wash the windows, shampoo the carpet, clean out those closets, pressure wash the decks/patio/walkway, trim the grass, deadhead the flowers and generally make your house shine from top to bottom. Hire a pro if you don’t have time. You will have open house visitors who do the white glove test!
· Schedule your open house at a convenient time. How many people are going to show up at 2:00 on a Tuesday? Opt for times that are more convenient, such as the weekends. This will ensure you attract as many potential buyers as possible.
· Publicise your open house. People may see a sign in your yard and turn in while they’re out driving, but don’t rely on chance. Create awareness of your open house by posting it on social media and making sure your estate agent is aware of the time and date of the open house.
· Create a one-pager. Visitors want to know your energy performance ratings, how old the house is, when the roof was put on, if the washer and dryer are included and if so, when did you purchase them? Create a short document with all these property details, and place them near the entryway. Also put some throughout the house on end tables so people can pick one up if they’ve missed it at the front.
· Keep your valuable items locked away. Most open house visitors come looking for a house; a few come looking for jewelry, cash, or knick-knacks. Make sure you’ve removed all of your items that hold significant monetary and sentimental value.
· Offer refreshments. This is an area of some controversy; some experts say that guests aren’t there for the cookies. Well, no. But a cookie is nice, isn’t it? Offering some light refreshments encourages people to stay longer and chit-chat – and this is important in terms of selling your home.
If you’ve decided to host an open house, use these tips. Especially the first one. Start cleaning now!